March 5th, 2012
Shares in BP are expected to rise 5-9 percent on Monday after the oil giant reached a settlement with businesses and individuals impacted by the Gulf of Mexico oil spill worth an estimated $7.8 billion.
Some analysts said the expected payout was less than they had forecast, reduced legal uncertainty and suggested the final settlement with BP’s biggest opponent – the U.S. government – would be much lower than the worst case scenario.
“On a trading basis we see a potentially quite positive reaction … BP moving to the 530-550 pence range near term (if not higher), and possibly higher thereafter,” said Jason Kenny, oil analyst at Santander.
BP shares closed at 496.5 pence on Friday.
Analysts had given a wide range of forecasts for how much BP would have to pay out to compensate fishermen, condominium owners and hoteliers, with many predicting a figure of $14 billion, although BP had taken a provision of just $6.1 billion.
The company has also taken a $3.5 billion provision for expected government fines but the maximum possible level of penalty could be over $20 billion, if BP is found to have been grossly negligent.
Analysts said the agreement boosted the chances of a settlement with the government.
“What this agreement does, if it is implemented, is to give the management of BP further encouragement to try and reach a settlement out of court (with the U.S. Department of Justice),” said Iain Armstrong, oil analyst with Brewin Dolphin, via email.
Fadel Gheit, oil analyst at Oppenheimer in New York, said BP’s hand had been strengthened by the deal.
“I think the settlement further weakens the government claim of gross negligence,” he said.
Analysts at Morgan Stanley predicted the agreement would allow BP to continue raising its dividend, which was cut at the height of the oil spill – the worst in U.S. history.
“We believe the path towards free cash flow of $8.7 billion and a dividend of 39 cents per share by 2014 remains intact,” the bank said in a research note.
BP paid a dividend of 29 cents per share for 2011. Some investors had feared BP’s ability to grow the dividend could be limited by the legal uncertainty.
Nontheless, even the most optimistic forecasts suggest BP will remain well below its pre-spill payout of 14 cents per share per quarter for years to come.
In addition to the U.S. federal government’s claims, BP faces lawsuits from the states affected by the spill, which came after a blast on a drilling rig that killed 11 men.
Analysts at Citigroup said they expected BP to have to pay another $1-2 billion to settle these claims.
For The Full Report Go To Raw Story
June 2nd, 2011
By: Daniel Erickson
In the last year, as Pakistan has lost favor with the US and UNICEF, polio virus has paralyzed increasing numbers of Pakistani youth, casting doubt on the good intentions of those who fight polio. To make matters worse, most of the new cases have occurred in children already vaccinated. Is the US attempting to fight Pakistan by tainting inoculation doses?
The medical data suggests that the vaccine has changed in its efficacy against the disease. Last year, there were 136 cases of infected youth, and 107 of these had been administered multiple polio vaccinations. These figures are the largest the Polio Global Eradication Initiative has seen since 2006, despite heavy treatment in the most affected areas, South Punjab and the Federally Administered Tribal Area (FATA).
Even the more peaceful provinces have suffered. As reported by the Pakistan Daily times, there were 10 cases of polio in Sindh province in the first four months of the year. The article morbidly notes each of the cases, citing the children’s names and the number of vaccinations they had received before the onset of polio virus: “Mohammad Asif, aged 40 months with all his limbs affected… was administered oral anti polio vaccine (OPV) four times… The three and a half years old Ameera… had one of her arms and legs paralyzed… Ameera was first of the confirmed cases of polio during the current year.”
As one might imagine, Pakistani citizens are beginning to suspect foul play. Dr. Mazhar Khamisani, a manager of the health department in Sindh has noted that he has seen Pakistani parents begin to refuse treatment and do so on repeated occasions. And how could we, when confronted with the facts, ask them to do otherwise?
The type of polio vaccine administered may be a significant cause of the problem. There are two main types of polio vaccine, Inactivated Polio Vaccine (IPV) and Oral Polio Vaccine (OPV). The first of these uses dead cells of poliomyelitis. IPV was developed by Jonas Salk before being disseminated throughout the US in the 1950s, to quell the outbreak that was then infecting roughly 22,000 American children each year. Within 20 years, polio was all but forgotten in America.
However, The Polio Global Eradication Initiative chooses to use the second type, Oral Polio Vaccine. OPV was developed by Albert Sabin and runs the virus through a number of animals in order to weaken the strain rather than kill it. The weakened strain is then injected into children, whose immune systems are strong enough to defeat the infection. It is easy to see how treatment could backfire, in cases when the strain has not been weakened enough for human contact.
Despite the fact that it was not widely disseminated in the US, possibly because of the dangers associated with its use, OPV is the vaccine of choice in countries like Pakistan because, soon after vaccination, weakened virus can be found in children’s fecal matter. Immunity can then spread to communal water sources and increase immunity for greater portions of the population. So even if parents refuse OPV treatment, their children may still receive it indirectly through the drinking water.
Historically, there have been cases of outbreak when a weakened strain becomes strong enough to infect rather than immunize. In these cases, OPV is typically replaced by IPV because it is no longer considered safe. But OPV is still the vaccine of choice in Pakistan, even as it continues to prove its potency to the Polio Global Eradication Initiative. Why?
One explanation is that researchers have not collected enough data yet to say with certainty whether the vaccine is causing the outbreak. But how much longer will this go on?
It is equally plausible that the vaccine is not being handled properly. If the requisite temperature is not maintained, the vaccine can be rendered completely ineffectual. In remote areas, where power can be disrupted for hours and even days, the OPV treatments may have exceeded their temperature requirements and consequently lost their usefulness from temperature fluctuations. But surely, medical practitioners would know if their vaccine had potentially been compromised.
Unfortunately, both of these possibilities point to some kind of negligence. Either the doctors administering treatment are aware that their vaccine may not have the capacity to immunize their patients, or the people in charge are disseminating harmful vaccinations, then playing the victim to the ‘inconclusiveness of the data’ when it is clear that something has gone awry.
The Polio Global Eradication Initiative receives the majority of its funding through UNICEF and the US, both of which are beginning to look at Pakistan as an enemy, rather than a friend. Are political relations trickling down to the medical practitioners who are supposedly fighting a disease, not a country?
Today, Kevin has been waiting for months to finally share all of these mind-blowing headlines with you! Also, why does he keep getting interrogated every time he goes to the airport? Because he’s exposing the truth! PLUS, doesn’t it seem like America is on it’s way of becoming the Soviet Union due to censorship and the stripping of constitutional rights?
Thousands Have Died From Negligence
Anti-Depressants Cause Miscarriage
Lack of Sleep Leads to Hair Loss
USDA Tricks You Over GMO Crops
Serious Side Effects from Overprescribed Drugs
Vaccine Causes Convulsions in Children
Cancer Treatment Costs Nearly Double
Parkinson’s Drugs Make People Sex Addicts
Big Pharma Silences Drug Side Effects
Hormone Replacement Therapy Drugs Based on Fraud
Acid Reflux Drugs Cause Infections and Fractures
Processed Food Linked to Premature Aging
FDA Advises to Keep Giving Adderall
Feds to Take Over Internet During Crisis
Advisers Receive Kickbacks From Swine Flu Vaccine Manufacturers
Cost of Illegal’s Rising
Government Tries to Kill Alternative Medicine
Obama Uses Questionable Social Security Number
Take Trudeau on the Go! Click here to download this show to your iPod, mp3 player, or PC through iTunes!
Click BELOW to watch the Kevin Trudeau Show LIVE!
June 15, 2010
By David Gutierrez
(NaturalNews) A New York City hospital where a Jamaican immigrant died from a blood clot after waiting nearly 24 hours to be seen has agreed to a legal settlement that will place it under federal supervision for five years.
Kings County Hospital (KCHC) in Brooklyn came under state and federal investigation after 49-year-old Esmin Green died on the hospital’s waiting room floor. The scandal broke when security footage was released that showed at least two separate hospital employees looking at her lying there then ignoring her.
A federal investigation uncovered widespread abuse, negligence and malfeasance in the hospital’s mental health ward.
June 7, 2010
By David Gutierrez
A hospital trust where conditions were so bad that more than 1,000 patients may have died due to negligence actively tried to stop employees from raising concerns about patient safety, according to an inquiry conducted by the British Health Department.
“Staff have known about the problems on the wards for many years, but there has been no means by which they can bring them up,” said a health official close to the inquiry. “Those who have tried to do so have been shot down. Some have been ordered to withdraw or hide their allegations.”
One egregious case occurred following the death of John Moore-Robinson, a 20-year-old who was admitted to the hospital following a mountain bike accident in April 2006. He was discharged with painkillers and died less than 24 hours later from a ruptured spleen that health workers had failed to detect.
In his report on the incident, consultant Ivan Phair concluded that, “The premature death of Mr. Moore-Robinson in my opinion was an avoidable situation. I feel that an independent expert would criticize the management afforded to him by the staff. There is a high probability that the level of care delivered to Mr. Moore-Robinson was negligent.”
The hospital’s head of services, Kate Levy, then wrote to Phair asking him to remove these comments from his report in order to avoid “further distress to the family and adverse publicity.” Phair’s report was not included in data presented to the inquest following the death.
Another consultant, Pradip Singh, told the inquiry that he and several coworkers had complained to superiors about staff cuts and the ensuing reduction in standards of care. They were either ignored or ostracized as troublemakers.
According to Singh, the hospital suffers from a “palpable culture of intimidation.” Data submitted to the inquiry note that the hospital’s written policy on whistleblowers actively discourages employees from raising concerns.
February 26, 2010
By Fay Schlesinger, Andy Dolan, and Tim Shipman
Not a single official has been disciplined over the worst-ever NHS hospital scandal, it emerged last night.
Up to 1,200 people lost their lives needlessly because Mid-Staffordshire NHS Trust put government targets and cost-cutting ahead of patient care.
But none of the doctors, nurses and managers who failed them has suffered any formal sanction.
Indeed, some have either retired on lucrative pensions or have swiftly found new jobs.
Former chief executive Martin Yeates, who has since left with a £1million pension pot, six months’ salary and a reported £400,000 payoff, did not even give evidence to the inquiry which detailed the scale of the scandal yesterday.
He was said to be medically unfit to do so, though he sent some information to chairman Robert Francis through his solicitor.
The devastating-report into the Stafford Hospital-shambles’ laid waste to Labour’s decade-long obsession with box-ticking and league tables.
The independent inquiry headed by Robert Francis QC found the safety of sick and dying patients was ‘routinely neglected’. Others were subjected to ‘ inhumane treatment’, ‘bullying’, ‘abuse’ and ‘rudeness’.
The shocking estimated death toll, three times the previous figure of 400, has prompted calls for a full public inquiry.
Bosses at the Trust – officially an ‘elite’ NHS institution – were condemned for their fixation with cutting waiting times to hit Labour targets and leaving neglected patients to die.
But after a probe that was controversially held in secret, not a single individual has been publicly blamed.
The inquiry found that:
• Patients were left unwashed in their own filth for up to a month as nurses ignored their requests to use the toilet or change their sheets;
• Four members of one family. including a new-born baby girl. died within 18 months after of blunders at the hospital;
• Medics discharged patients hastily out of fear they risked being sacked for delaying;
• Wards were left filthy with blood, discarded needles and used dressings while bullying managers made whistleblowers too frightened to come forward.
Last night the General Medical Council announced it was investigating several doctors. The Nursing and Midwifery Council is investigating at least one nurse and is considering other cases.
Ministers suggested the report highlighted a dreadful ‘local’ scandal, but its overall conclusions are a blistering condemnation of Labour’s approach to the NHS.
It found that hospital were so preoccupied with saving money and pursuit of elite foundation trust status that they ‘lost sight of its fundamental responsibility to provide safe care’.
Health Secretary Andy Burnham accepted 18 recommendations from Mr Francis and immediately announced plans for a new inquiry, to be held in public, into how Department of Health and NHS regulators failed to spot the disaster.
But Julie Bailey, head of the campaign group Cure the NHS, condemned his response as ‘outrageous’ and backed Tory and Liberal Democrat demands for a full public inquiry into what went wrong.
Tory leader David Cameron said: ‘We need openness, clarity and transparency to stop this happening again.’ Gordon Brown described the scandal as a ‘completely unacceptable management failure’ and revealed that the cases of 300 patients are now under investigation.
He told MPs the Government was belatedly working on plans to ‘strike off’ hospital managers responsible for failures. The hospital could also lose its cherished foundation status.
Shadow Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said ‘These awful events show how badly Labour has let down NHS patients. It should never again be possible for managers to put a tick in a box marked “target met” while patients are pushed off to a ward and left to die.’
The Francis probe was launched following a Healthcare Commission report on Stafford Hospital in March last year. It found that deaths at the hospital were 27 to 45 per cent higher than normal, meaning some 400 to 1,200 people died unnecessarily between 2005 and 2008.
November 06, 2009
By Kurt Nimmo
The darling of the globalist NGO “color revolution” in the Ukraine, Viktor Yushchenko, has issued an official statement suggesting as president he will impose martial law on the country, force citizens to take toxic vaccinations, and outlaw demonstrations by the political opposition.
Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko has outlawed political rallies by Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko and other opponents.
“I instruct the Government and the Ministry of Health to immediately start preventive and promotional work in areas where there is no epidemic, targeting primarily the special risk groups,“ declared Yushchenko. “This means that medical aid must be urgently reinforced by emergency, critical care treatment. It is generally known that the only way to prevent any infection is vaccination.”
In his declaration, Yushchenko made the Ukrainian National Security and Defense Council “the center of decision-making” and said that “failure to comply with its orders will immediately result in application to the law enforcement authorities.”
In addition, Yushchenko said demonstrations against the government during the growing flu epidemic would be considered acts of “criminal irresponsibility,” a hint that the government will crack down on opposition under the cover of protecting the public. “I have addressed the Prosecutor General of Ukraine with the request to institute criminal charges of negligence” against government officials “who, despite having daily information on the epidemic situation in the country, neglected it in pursuit of political dividends and ambition,” said Yushchenko.
On November 4, Yushchenko accused rival Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, ex-prime minister Viktor Yanukovich and parliamentary speaker Volodymyr Lytvyn of ignoring the growing epidemic and organizing mass rallies for their own campaigns. “The first and most effective method of prevention is not to allow mass gatherings of people. But, ignoring this rule, hundreds of thousands of people were brought to Kiev for various events from different regions,” Yushchenko said in a televised speech, according to Reuters.
In late October, the government imposed a quarantine around the country and public events were banned, including the elections. Police enforced the compulsory wearing of protective face masks and citizens caught not wearing a mask faced harsh legal penalties.
On November 3, Ukraine shut down its schools, universities and cinemas, and banned public gatherings for the foreseeable future. Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko said “special regimes” designed to limit the movement of Ukraine’s citizens were being introduced in an attempt to prevent the spread of the mystery virus.
On November 2, Infowars Ireland reported that authorities in Kiev were spraying of “aerosolized medication” by aircraft over city. “The office of Emergency Response in the district of Desniansko, Kiev, are tonight (30th Oct.) strongly refuting reports that light aircraft were spraying a substance over the city intended to counter a ’swine flu pandemic’ in Ukraine,” Infowars Ireland explained. “It was reported that light aircraft were seen over the Forest market area of the city (close to the Forest metro station) and they were spraying an aerosol substance intended to ‘counter swine flu,’ this of course would constitute forced medication of the population.”
The office of Emergency Response in the district of Desniansko strongly refuted the accusation.
After the UN’s WHO sent an emergency team to Ukraine to monitor the outbreak which as so far infected 450,000 people and killed more than 80, it was determined the illness has been caused by H1N1 swine flu. British scientists are examining samples of a strain to determine whether the virus has mutated, Sky News reports.